Thursday, August 9, 2007

Walmart sucks....but my Shop-Vac doesn't

As I ended my last post with a comment about Wally World I thought I might continue the thread.

I remember well an ad. of TV in South Africa which included the phrase ' Nothing Sucks like an Electrolux ' referring to that brand of vacuum cleaners. I think the term ' sucks ' had just hit the scene as a derogatory words and everyone thought that that was quite a good play on words.

Well, last year I bought a shop-vac from Walmart for a one off job really, in the garage and it did the job just great. Well the shop-vac had been stored in the back since then un-touched apart from a rodents looking for a winter home. They obviously were very impressed with the long winding entrance through the suction tube. How they negotiated back through the little one flappy thing to get out again, though, is a mystery.

Last week I thought that it would be a great idea to grab the Shop-Vac and commission it back into service to give my car its annual vacuum. Well to be honest the Shop-Vac worked great sucking the cr...sh...debris out of my car but alas it also proved to be equally efficient in dispensing all the debris plus a winters worth of mouse makings out of the exhaust port into the garage. No filtering whatsoever.

So off with the top....which is when the now vacated lodgers winter stay became apparent.
That foamy circle filter thingy was obvioulsy a great nest maker.

Anyway off to Wally World to get a new filter only to find that 'that model is two years old and we don't stock those anymore neither do we stock the filters. You have to buy a new one.

So this is my 'grump' for the day. Why the bloody hell can't shops, including Walmart, stock that user parts for at least a respectable time for the products they sell. Maybe they expect now, that the Chinese made junk that they sell won't last for more than a year and just expect you to renew all your appliances once a year. Apologies if Shop-Vac is American made. It's dia -effing- bolical I say! Oh sorry, have I offended China.

1 comment:

Greybeard said...

Surely someone that has worked with and can differentiate the difference between Volts, Amps, Watts, and Ohms, can cut a piece of foam to fit the skeleton of the old filter and make-do!?

I agree with "She who must be obeyed"...
You DO enjoy this!